Over the years, we have fielded numerous complaints about food consumption during the Met Operas. As more of these comments come in, we fell it needs a little attention! There’s only so much we can do to make people eat quieter, so we’ve made a list of guidelines that encompasses general Opera viewing etiquette. This list is now on the back of the programs. We don’t expect the ushers to relay all of these things to all of the patrons, so we felt the program may be the best way.
The main things we can do to help is, if we see patrons bringing in popcorn, let them know to please refrain from eating the popcorn during the Opera, only during the intermissions. In addition, if they have any food that may have a noisy wrapper, ask them to please unwrap it before the Opera begins or open it during the intermissions. We will let our student concessions workers also help with this.
Here below is what is now in the program:
Thank you for supporting The Met: Live in HD at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. To ensure a quality experience for all of our patrons, we ask that you please recognize the following guidelines for etiquette during the broadcast:
1. Please arrive on time for the performance. Late arrivals can be disruptive to other patrons.
2. Please silence all electronic devices including cell phones and tablets. Please refrain from sending or checking text messages during the performance.
3. Recording the broadcast is strictly prohibited.
4. During the performance, please refrain from talking, humming or tapping along with the music.
5. Applause is encouraged at the following moments in the performance:
– As the conductor arrives onstage to begin the overture
– The conclusion of the overture or an aria
– The conclusion of an act
– During a curtain call
6. Concessions will be served during The Met: Live in HD broadcasts from our concessions stand.
– If you purchase popcorn, please do not eat during the performance. Please enjoy your popcorn purchase during intermission breaks.
– If you purchase candy, please unwrap your purchase before the performance begins or during intermissions.
– Beverages may be enjoyed during the performance. Please consume your beverages quietly.
Thank you for your patronage and enjoy the performance.
There you have it!